Kia ora koutou,
We are closing down ComicsNZ, as of 13th December. Here are some FAQs, please email email@example.com if you have any others.
1. Why is ComicsNZ being shut down?
ComicsNZ was started to meet a perceived need…an online space for NZ comics creators. While many people have their work online, and some in zines, it seemed logical to have the library as a place to collect and promote them in one place.
However, this initiative is not meeting a need. There were two primary measures: the ability of the site to get interest in the comics making community (measured by an increase in submissions), and the ability of the site to spark the interest and imagination of Auckland Libraries staff (measured by staff willingness to be involved). Neither has been successful.
2. What happens to the content on ComicsNZ?
It stays. While the site will not accept any new content, existing content will be kept, and will remain searchable. All feeds will be disconnected, though.
3. What have the highlights been?
· Getting Debra Boyask’s work online
· Playing a part in Michael Sanders get published through Wheelers
· Running comics making workshops with Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei
· Collaborating with Chromacon 2015
· Becoming friends with Faction
4. What if I wanted to re-open ComicsNZ or have an idea around how it could work?
Please get in touch!
5. What have we learnt from this experience with ComicsNZ?
· That is important to fail. A complete absence of failure means we have not stretched ourselves enough.
· That an idea in itself may be good…but be in the wrong time and place.
· That a system needs to be built with measures right from the start, rather than as an afterthought.
For those of you that have been supportive and encouraging…thank you!